Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Day 95 Medical Update

It has been wonderful to be free of Drs appts for a few weeks. Today was my appointment with the ENT Dr that did the surgery back in August. He is the Dr that finally listened to me, and agreed that my hoarse voice was a problem, then it only took him a 30 second look to know that I needed surgery the next day. I really really like him. Anyway, he hasn't seen me since the beginning of Sept. , so when he walked in I was so excited to greet him in my loudest voice..."Hello Dr. G. don't I sound great?"
He started laughing and said "No, you sound awful.. you will definetly sound better than that soon"
YEA!! I am excited by his reaction, because although I do so better, and clearer everyday and mostly pain free, I have been worried since the beginning that my voice would never come back. Well, he did have to have a look - for those of you not understanding what this means, he puts scope up my nose and down my throat, it is disgusting and makes me cry and gag. While he is down there looking I have to make different noises, so that he can watch my vocal chords move. He looked, and I do still have a "paralysis of the left vocal chord", he thinks it is just a matter of time for the effects of the radiation to wear off, and then both vocal chords should be working correctly.
Well, it is a good thing that I really like Dr. G because I will see him every 6 weeks for a year - and get scoped - just to make sure I remain healthy. After a year I only have to go every three months.....for 5 years!

No comments: